Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever before have many clinical advancements and brand-new strategies emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of people the chance to minimize or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless way to remedy vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be tricked by elegant ads about a specific laser. Pick the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional does not know can harm you.
Ask for details on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your doctor won't tell you, discover another one.
Ask what steps are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The prospective savings are unworthy the danger of getting less than expert care!
7. Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but do not expect to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat different result. The very best surgeon in the world cannot ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each client. Be careful of any doctor who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness the original source is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the eyesight of millions of people all over the world.